Important News

We have released Shinobi Life Online Pre-Alpha Version 1.1.0.0! This update features Earth Release: Earth Dome Jutsu, Aiming Mode and more! Try it out and tell us what you think.

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Discord

Statistics

Members
Total Members: 74976
Latest: xzvWed
New This Month: 388
New This Week: 128
New Today: 20
Stats
Total Posts: 188065
Total Topics: 109509
Most Online Today: 2237
Most Online Ever: 4232
(January 14, 2020, 07:47:33)
Users Online
Members: 20
Guests: 2171
Total: 2204

Author Topic: Maritime General Thread  (Read 6795 times)

Offline America

• Hidden Metal Kage
  • Patriotic Sennin Donator
  • Jonin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • America has no influence.
  • 初代目金属影 - First Kinzokukage
    • View Profile
  • Clan: Hinode
Maritime General Thread
« on: July 30, 2016, 08:08:58 »
Welcome to the

Maritime General Thread

where all ideas and suggestions related to the oceans, seas, boats, naval combat, etc in SLO will be discussed. Share your aspirations and wishes for the transportation and battling aspects of SLO's oceans.

Personally, myself, I hope that sailing is much more than clicking on a boat then watching a cutscene that shows you on a boat traveling to the Hidden Snow or wherever the destination may be. I really hope that we will be able to commandeer our own ships, outfit them with special equipment, etc. I want to be able to have naval battles with opposing sides, as far-fetched as it may be.

Although it isn't really a Naruto-related thing, I do hope that sailing becomes an aspect of SLO. Being able to control the seas in vital spots, such as the strait between the mainland and the Hidden Snow would be awesome. You could crush communication and trade routes, essentially becoming king of the seas. I would totally set up a base on a small island in the sea (if possible) and launch raiding parties out of that.

Expanding on the idea above, hidden bases that people and organizations can set up independently of villages that are on the water should be able to have ports. These would obviously be instanced, so not any average Joe can dock his ship in your organizations port; only people with permission to enter the instanced area would be able; but, it would be a nice touch. Along with the private docks, there could be small cities on the coastline separate from the Hidden Villages but still ruled by the land they reside in that have ports where you can dock your ship or buy a new one.

Obviously the cost of a fully loaded warship would be astronomic, and I think it should be that way - everyone having massive warship would be chaos - but, I also think that there should be small affordable two or three man boats that could travel in the rivers and down the coastline. If you wanted to travel to the Hidden Snow, it would be more complex. You could either hire an NPC crew to take you there, hire a crew of players, or have your own well-enough equipped ship to make the journey across the ocean.

I don't know how advanced the technology will be, but outfitting a ship with cannons seems kind of silly in a world of jutsu and chakra. Maybe there could be special naval jutsu designed for maritime battle?

Some of these suggestions may be a bit outlandish, as the team will be focused on creating the game around ninjas and whatnot, instead of a full-fledged boat simulator 2016. I think that even being able to buy different level ships (rowboat, sailboat, galleys, etc) would be nice, even without customization. Just being able to take to the seas on your own intuition would be fuckin gnarly.

also what about that one underwater village that vreg talked about?  8)

I don't know about you all, but I wish that sailing will be more than instant fast travel, and knowing Vreg and the team, I think it will be.

Hit me up with your suggestions. What do you think about maritime travel and warfare?

• Character Name: Onoyari Hinode

Offline taigakun

Re: Maritime General Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 08:25:42 »
I was also wondering about how travelling through sea and naval combat would be, and i complete agree with this. I also had this suggestion that maybe there might be sea monsters, and if you travel far enough out to the ocean, to the right location and you have a good enough boat, you'd be able to battle a monster/beast with 3-4 players using normal ranged jutsus or something, while another player controls the boat itself.

But naval combat is so fragile in a way that if you arent careful, you'd just end up removing the shinobi aspects of the game and turning it to one piece(lel) so i'm looking forward to see what the devs have planned out.

Offline Toratsume Nyshn

• Genin Donator
  • Jonin Poster
  • Toratsume Nyshn has no influence.
  • Morigakure Elder
    • View Profile
  • Clan:
  • Organization: Heathen,

Glory to the Black Rose
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 09:57:55 »
Yes... travelling across the seas should not be like what America mentioned in the beginning of his post.
The following is how I suggest it could be like:
Ships and boats:
Yes, they come in all shapes and sizes, (and materials). Basically, the era should decide the type of marine transport. Also proper navigation systems and life in sea can be portrayed (if possible)
1)If it's the old times, wooden ships, boats and rafts would be what you would usually spot in the saltwaters....
2)If its the somewhat modern era, a couple of wooden ships and boats along with there metallic counterparts would be cool enough (imo, this would be ideal)
If it's the modern era, those high tech battleships, carriers, cargos, motorboats, subs and motorafts is what one should expect in the seas. (I believe this is not what will happen as of now).

Ownership:
Now, who will own the boats?
Since I dunno whether we are gonna follow the kingdom system like in Naruto, I presume the KAGE will be the supremo of the marine defense (not exactly a navy) of her/his village.
Mostly I guess Shinobis of Water or wind nature will be in this force. Lightning and fire style ninjas can be useful in weaponry and maritime warfare.
Also, the Kage will have the right to choose whether she/he wants to have a Marine Defense Force or not. And if yes, the Administrative structure of this organization can vary from village to village as per the kage and the village council.
Even clans can have their own boats and ships if they are the seafaring types.
Furthermore, talking about the civilian ownership of ships and boats, we can have NPCs in the form of fishermen, Businessmen, etc. who can have their own boats and cargos.

Control of marine territory:
Each coastal village shall have a fixed area of seawater under their ownership. So the marine life, resources and water will be owned by a Kage in these areas. Entering without prior permission or trespassing can be punishable. The far fetched oceans can be Free zone, where no Kage can have control.
Wars can happen to take control of these marine areas.

Pirates:
Can't miss this one can we? :P
we can have NPCs as pirates, (the non-shinobi ones). Whereas rogue ninjas can also form seafarering organization and can fall under the category of Shinobi Pirates or Ninja kaizuke or anything you wanna call them other than rogue ninjas.
They could even be marine branches of Kata, Vongola and other rogue orgs.

Finally,
Miscellaneous stuff
Mysterious marine creatures: they could range from monsters to tiny useful legendary *(any other adjective)* organisms.

Battles: they can be caused by invasion, infiltration, unauthorized use of Kage's waters, strategic transport, attack and infiltration of troops during
Wars,etc.

Recreational: Annual sports like racing, shows to display marine strength of a village, etc.

To prevent stealing of ships and boats when it's owner or captain is not online is something of a problem since there would be some jerks who would like to go on joyrides in the sea...
I think, as a general purpose, when a player is offline, his property should be out of bound for online players.... just a thought..
:P :)

Offline Tsunayoshi

• Chunin Donator
  • Jonin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • Tsunayoshi has no influence.
  • -Join the Vongola yoho
    • View Profile
  • Clan: Kaiyō
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 10:14:58 »
If I remember right, Instances which can be used as bases are scattered all over the map, and it's first come first serve, so if one of the orgs members manage to be the first one that enters the instance the ownership goes to the organization.

Imagine a base in the ocean, an island that's closed, that'd be the only possible way of Pirates really, and once the pirates decide to leave the game, they'll simply have to park their boat in the organization base.

I dislike the idea about NPC Pirates, in the future I can imagine a lot of people who'd want to go Pirates for their orgs. The only NPC that should be in the game should be Advicers and Merchants imo.
  • Character Name: Tsunayoshi Kaiyo

Offline SpeakingRain

• Special Jonin Donator
  • Chunin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • SpeakingRain has no influence.
    • View Profile
  • Clan:
  • Organization: Hyakki Yagyō

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 18:22:33 »
Canons are a big no-no. There are plenty of Justus that can act just as well (Wind bullet). The boat would be more like the staging area, since everyone can walk on water, and a reasonable defensive fortress and a place to store cargo. SLO much different from a pirate game since characters can just Jesus their way up to your boat and set it on fire with their breath.
   The Hidden Snow Umiokami raiders already use the Land of Frost as a staging area, but scattering a few small islands off the mainland coasts around for those orgs/clans who want to be independent.
    I like the ideas
  • Character Name: Ginko
Find true freedom. Join the Land of Wolves, free from the corrupt Kage system.

Offline America

• Hidden Metal Kage
  • Patriotic Sennin Donator
  • Jonin Poster
  • America has no influence.
  • 初代目金属影 - First Kinzokukage
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 02:55:22 »
I was also wondering about how travelling through sea and naval combat would be, and i complete agree with this. I also had this suggestion that maybe there might be sea monsters, and if you travel far enough out to the ocean, to the right location and you have a good enough boat, you'd be able to battle a monster/beast with 3-4 players using normal ranged jutsus or something, while another player controls the boat itself.

Love this idea, didn't really think about sea monsters, but that would be epic to battle a giant sea snake or w/e.

Ships and boats:
Yes, they come in all shapes and sizes, (and materials). Basically, the era should decide the type of marine transport. Also proper navigation systems and life in sea can be portrayed (if possible)
1)If it's the old times, wooden ships, boats and rafts would be what you would usually spot in the saltwaters....
2)If its the somewhat modern era, a couple of wooden ships and boats along with there metallic counterparts would be cool enough (imo, this would be ideal)
If it's the modern era, those high tech battleships, carriers, cargos, motorboats, subs and motorafts is what one should expect in the seas. (I believe this is not what will happen as of now).

I've thought a bit about this, and places like the Hidden Metal may be able to harbor some more advanced ships. I also feel that boats will go down pretty easily to fire style, unless there are a lot of Water Style defenders. Metal boats would probably only be found in or made by the Hidden Metal, which could bring in a lot of revenue to that village or good control of the seas.

It kind of sucks that landlocked lands won't be able to access the ocean, but I guess there are pros and cons for each village.

If I remember right, Instances which can be used as bases are scattered all over the map, and it's first come first serve, so if one of the orgs members manage to be the first one that enters the instance the ownership goes to the organization.

This has been discussed, and I was pretty sure the outcome was that there will be instances all over the world, and anyone can claim them with enough resources. When you enter it, it teleports you to your instance version of it, allowing many different orgs and clans to have their own base they can design with the same layout as the overall area on the map.

I dislike the idea about NPC Pirates, in the future I can imagine a lot of people who'd want to go Pirates for their orgs. The only NPC that should be in the game should be Advicers and Merchants imo.

I think it is necessary for the game to have NPC enemies for the low level shinobi to train against. Otherwise you will just be throwing them out into a world of no-life pseudo-Vregs that have 14203 hours logged on the game.

Canons are a big no-no. There are plenty of Justus that can act just as well (Wind bullet). The boat would be more like the staging area, since everyone can walk on water, and a reasonable defensive fortress and a place to store cargo. SLO much different from a pirate game since characters can just Jesus their way up to your boat and set it on fire with their breath.

Lmao I forgot that we can walk on water; although, it won't be for very long unless your chakra is fine tuned to hell and back. I agree about the cannons; they are a lot less efficient than jutsu.

Keep the ideas coming lads, and keep discussion open. Great job so far, interesting suggestions.
  • Character Name: Onoyari Hinode

Offline Kings_Head

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 05:02:12 »
Canons are a big no-no. There are plenty of Justus that can act just as well (Wind bullet).
And if they ever add any type of water jutsu then that would be one hell of a battle
Nobleblood Leader for the Great Kirishima Clan
"Why should I apologize for being a monster? Has anyone ever apologized for turning me into one?"

Offline SpeakingRain

• Special Jonin Donator
  • Chunin Poster
    • View Profile
  • Clan:

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2016, 05:35:29 »
   I would prefer wooden ships with some metal, just because I would think it would fit in the lore a bit better.
  The Hidden Metal could produce metal cruisers (I keep envisioning the Fire Nation cruisers from the Avatar cartoon) with the Metal Kage able to determine whether s/he would allow them on the open market (money, baby) or kept only for his/her land's navy.
     To balance it out and allow other Lands to acquire them, people can commandeer ships, or buy/sell them on a black market. I can imagine people making an entire in-game living snatching up ships and turning them for a profit. However, to be fair, you wouldn't be able to steal ships unless the owner(s) are online and can reasonably defend against it.

As for combat, I like the idea of one person controlling the ship and the members of your crew attacking. Coordinating might be a bitch though, but that's a player problem. ^^

I love the sea monsters idea, such as giant squids, Sharks, whales and serpents. Hell, even regular sized sharks could easily  dissuade players from trying to cross deep water without a boat ^^ (imagines giant Shinobi force set in invading Hidden Snow only to be nommed by sharks and serpents).

And I agree with America about low level NPC pirates for newbies to train against. Lord knows how many no-lifers are going to be sailing around with fully upgraded Hidden Metal cruisers.

Offline Kings_Head

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2016, 06:07:03 »
   I would prefer wooden ships with some metal, just because I would think it would fit in the lore a bit better.
I like these ideas but for some reason i keep thinking about the boats that the vikings used
"Why should I apologize for being a monster? Has anyone ever apologized for turning me into one?"

Offline SpeakingRain

• Special Jonin Donator
  • Chunin Poster
    • View Profile
  • Clan:

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2016, 06:54:13 »
I like these ideas but for some reason i keep thinking about the boats that the vikings used
I wrote that weird. I meant to say "mostly wooden boats but some that are made of metal"

I think each Land could have their own style of boat, if the Hidden Metal gets . Hidden Snow ships could borrow Viking elements and for the Hidden Forest, can have very large, very ornate wooden ships because they have so much timber and wood release kekkei genkai.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 11:47:09 by SpeakingRain »

Offline Kings_Head

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2016, 10:44:00 »

I think each Land could have their own style of boat, if the Hidden Metal gets . Hidden Snow ships could borrow Viking elements and for the Hidden Forest, can have very large, very ornate wooden ships because they have so much timber and wood release kekkei genkai.
i do like the idea of each village having their own way of creating the boats, i feel like adding these boats will start a different kind of war of whose got the bigger boat

Offline Mars

• Hidden Hill Kage
  • Hidden Village Kage
  • Sennin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • Mars has no influence.
    • View Profile
  • Organization: Yürei
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2016, 10:59:20 »
I think it would be a good idea to give you two options:

- Make an npc ship that transports you to hidden snow (or back) with the guarantee of safety but for an extremely high price.

- Give players the option to travel on player made crews who will try their best to defend you against pirates, sea monsters etc.

This could be a way for higher tier players to make money.
  • Character Name: Kuria Hinode

Offline Kings_Head

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2016, 11:01:58 »

- Make an npc ship that transports you to hidden snow (or back) with the guarantee of safety but for an extremely high price.

- Give players the option to travel on player made crews who will try their best to defend you against pirates, sea monsters etc.

Wow this is the best possible way to put this, i hope THIS gets added into the game

@Mars this is for your good idea
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 11:13:17 by Kings_Head »

Offline Reminance

• Hidden Thunder Kage
  • Hidden Village Kage
  • Sennin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • Reminance has no influence.
  • Leader of Roguhanta
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2016, 12:52:00 »

Das ist sehr gut Mars
  • Character Name: Reminance

Offline Whatasnipe

• Writer
  • Shinobi Life Online Developer
  • Chunin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • Whatasnipe has no influence.
  • Burn their mongrel hides
    • View Profile
  • Clan: Kirishima Clan
  • Organization: Roguhanta
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2016, 14:05:29 »
To start, every one piece fan just came.

In my ideal world, the boat system would be like this.

- Boats are Rentable, Purchaseable, Transitable
- Come in different classes from Rowboat to Battleship
- The ability to assemble a crew of players to man the ship if needed, or the ability to enlist an npc crew of varying skill ranges for different prices.
             - Making up a player crew has its advantages and disadvantages, having to find people that know what they're doing in each role, as in                     
                 hiring a navigator who can actually navigate instead of an npc who can navigate, and only navigate.
- Rough waters, making it a very warped terrain if walked upon
- Customizable ships, doesnt have to be customizable to the point where you're building your own ship, but being able to switch the positions of key parts of the ship, or having blank slots to add upgrades would be cool

- Special Sea equipment: Things like boarding weapons, like a crossbow that fires hooked arrows with a rope attached to board another ship
- Mercenary groups to protect your ship from raiders, be them NPC or player.
                              - Player groups can have different dynamic, as each chakra nature has its own specialty in water.
                                     Fire: Large destructive power to wooden ships
                                     Water: Literally surrounded by water, surprise enemies with attacks right under their feet
                                     Earth: Ship defense, and the ability to easily put holes in an enemy ship for a watery grave
                                     Wind: Cut the sails, Blow people off of their ship, change their course of direction, spin up waves, tons of stuff to do with wind.
                                     Lightning: Anyone in the water against a lightning style user might as well just be dead.
- Islands to "conquer", trade routes, travel routes, open waters, small little villages to dock at on the islands, or small structures made above the water.

Realistically, theres a very low chance this will happen. It's a naruto game and naruto is the focus. I do think it'd be cool to have this little sub division of the game and get people more into this part than being ninja, attracting a broader audience. However at the end of the day you put this much effort into the sea side and you're going to notice a lot of people gravitating toward it. Will we have the player count to support the final goal, plus the full pirate experience? Who knows.

At the least we should have a very basic form of sea travel, no cut scenes but the ability to at least rent and man a boat, and do with it what you will.

Little tidbit on the idea of NPC's in this game. Not everyone is going to want to do everything that has to be done. You probably just wont find crews of 4-6 people solely dedicated to being a ship crew, and might need NPC's to fill in those shoes. Or like 20 medical ninja all working at a hospital, in each village? I doubt it. Frankly, the game needs NPCs, it just does. Without NPCs the world will feel dull. The game may be about ninjas, but if the only other living beings in the entire world are ninjas shit is going to get stale