Important News

We have released Shinobi Life Online Pre-Alpha Version 1.1.0.0! This update features Earth Release: Earth Dome Jutsu, Aiming Mode and more! Try it out and tell us what you think.

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Discord

Statistics

Members
Total Members: 75134
Latest: thesimoninfo
New This Month: 549
New This Week: 113
New Today: 25
Stats
Total Posts: 208828
Total Topics: 126113
Most Online Today: 2324
Most Online Ever: 4232
(January 14, 2020, 07:47:33)
Users Online
Members: 18
Guests: 2292
Total: 2322

Author Topic: Change of direction (probably controversial)  (Read 6943 times)

Offline seio

• Academy Student Poster
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • seio has no influence.
  • I'm new around here.
    • View Profile
Change of direction (probably controversial)
« on: May 26, 2016, 02:11:21 »
I don't know how serious this game plans to be, as in, the development for it.
Anyway, if it's something that's looking for completion, and having a properly functioning game, then I think the game may want to change direction.

1. The graphical style may not be that suited. "Realistic" characters only really works if you have a lot of money/time/experience to put into modeling, texturing, and animation. Another option while going for "realistic" characters, would probably be UE4, simply because it's a pretty strong engine.
Making it more "chibi" like would maybe be a better idea, then even without amazing skin textures, and so on, it'll look acceptable.

2. The way combat is implemented, to me, doesn't seem to be very realistic. It may work for a DM game, or something like that, but even then, I doubt it'll end up working well.
There's already been a lot of Naruto mods doing combat that way, one of the most successful results is this - However, SLO looks to be even faster, which may result into even more gimmicky combat.

I think a possibly more viable way would be to slow down the game, and make it into a more "traditional" action combat MMORPG.
Examples would be, C9, Vindictus (couldn't find anything for them), TERA ( ), and even Dark Souls series (it's obviously too slow).

3. It's probably a good idea to drop stuff that's copied directly from Naruto, rename things, and remake things is probably fine though.
I imagine licensing for Naruto is pretty expensive, and may not even be able to get. You cannot release a game that generates money, when it's copied from Naruto, you'd be sued and shut down.

• Character Name: test

Offline waly206

Re: Change of direction (probably controversial)
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 02:34:50 »
There not going to a naruto game is inspired by naruto but not a naruto game andthey know that so thats reason their (it was not a naruto game in the first place) not going for a naruto game and its only the pre alpha so things will change in the future.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 02:53:07 by waly206 »
  • Character Name: Toichi Tsukegami

Offline Accelerator

• Academy Student Poster
  • Accelerator has no influence.
  • Eyy bois
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 03:50:27 »
Many people don't understand this.... The engine does NOT make the game.

UE4 has some amazing prebuilt shaders, templates and starter assets. You can emulate that PERFECTLY in unity if you really really wanted to, in fact, if I had to take a guess, this game looks like ti was made in UE rather than unity in all honesty.
  • Character Name: Accelerator

Offline seio

• Academy Student Poster
  • seio has no influence.
  • I'm new around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 04:08:51 »

UE4 has some amazing prebuilt shaders, templates and starter assets. You can emulate that PERFECTLY in unity if you really really wanted to, in fact, if I had to take a guess, this game looks like ti was made in UE rather than unity in all honesty.
Of course.

But if there's anything tiny indie developers lack, it's man power. UE4 comes with tons of pre-built stuff, which means less man power, and less hours, needed.
Either way, I don't think you need UE4 to make good "chibi" graphics.

Offline Accelerator

• Academy Student Poster
  • Eyy bois
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 04:13:15 »

Of course.

But if there's anything tiny indie developers lack, it's man power. UE4 comes with tons of pre-built stuff, which means less man power, and less hours, needed.
Either way, I don't think you need UE4 to make good "chibi" graphics.

Not true, UE comes with the basics pre-built, these guys already have pretty good shaders on, all they need to do is add better lighting effects and most people won't be able to tell the difference.

I love UE a ton more than Unity, but Unity has a lot more support and guides on the community, UE is still growing. Thats why we see a ton more crap games being made on unity, because Unity always had such a huge community.

I'd also love to see these guys take a more realistic approach, naruto always had a more normal look (IMO) compared to other animes, eyes were relatively normal sized etc.. Though I do hope that we'd be able to make out character look a bit younger. The current one looks like he is late 20's, and I'd prefer early 20's/late teens.

Offline waly206

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 04:14:46 »
They also want the game to run well on low end computers( but what do I know ask the man himself)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 04:19:22 by waly206 »

Offline Accelerator

• Academy Student Poster
  • Eyy bois
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 04:18:37 »
They also want the game to run well on low end computers( but what do I know ask the man himself)
That is possible in both engines, and thus not much of an issue. As long as you play your cards(assets) right you are golden :P

Offline waly206

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 04:21:56 »
Yeah thats true but for me unity runs better in my crappy computers than UE

Offline Manuster

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 04:24:28 »
Anyway, if it's something that's looking for completion, and having a properly functioning game, then I think the game may want to change direction.

This game intends to be very serious. As you may (not) have noticed, it is only at pre-alpha. There is enourmous room for change and improvement, most of which has been planned. To suggest that the entire development team changes direction when, frankly, most of the development hasn't been completed, is pretty silly imo.

1. The graphical style may not be that suited. "Realistic" characters only really works if you have a lot of money/time/experience to put into modeling, texturing, and animation. Another option while going for "realistic" characters, would probably be UE4, simply because it's a pretty strong engine.

There is alot of time and experience already being put into this game. Nothing you're saying is particularly new information. It is in light of these that Vreg (Lead Programmer/Head Dev) has decided to go forward because frankly, "A Naruto-inspired MMO is highly demanaded."

I personally know nothing about which engine is better or not so I can't argue. But I'd bet Vreg made his decision wisely. >.>

Making it more "chibi" like would maybe be a better idea, then even without amazing skin textures, and so on, it'll look acceptable.

No. Sorry, but no. Vreg has exceptionally high visual standards, nothing will make him compromise. And to be honest, I don't see why anyone would want him to.

By no means is this game going to be easy to make, after all, that's why it hasn't been made so far. But with the current plans, ideas and efforts being pumped in. This game stands a very good chance of success. I suggest you read the FAQ and Development blogs to get a better idea. Scanning through some posts in the suggestion thread can also help.

2. The way combat is implemented, to me, doesn't seem to be very realistic. It may work for a DM game, or something like that, but even then, I doubt it'll end up working well.
There's already been a lot of Naruto mods doing combat that way, one of the most successful results is this - However, SLO looks to be even faster, which may result into even more gimmicky combat.

I think a possibly more viable way would be to slow down the game, and make it into a more "traditional" action combat MMORPG.
Examples would be, C9, Vindictus (couldn't find anything for them), TERA ( ), and even Dark Souls series (it's obviously too slow).

SLO aims to be skill-based. What you're suggesting is another MMORPG that has simply been put into a Naruto-like context. Not only does this game intend to shun the common MMO features of simple, repetitve, click-based combat. It plans to do this all beautifully and seamlessly. Simply acquiring a jutsu doesn't mean you can use it well. You will have to practice and hone your skills.

You mentioned alot of Naruto mods that have attempted this.

This will be the first that has succeeded. :p

3. It's probably a good idea to drop stuff that's copied directly from Naruto, rename things, and remake things is probably fine though.
I imagine licensing for Naruto is pretty expensive, and may not even be able to get. You cannot release a game that generates money, when it's copied from Naruto, you'd be sued and shut down.

Lol. Done. All done. Besides Chidori have you seen anything on this site that is Naruto exclusive?

(Bearing in mind that "chidori" directly translates into 1000 birds. We can't get sued for that, can we?)

I understand that you may be trying to 'help' Vreg, but to be honest, your post reeks of negativity and pessimism. (idk, this might just be me)

Anyways, for future reference, please read the FAQ and Development blogs.

And welcome to SLO. :p
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 04:29:30 by Manuster »
RIP my old sig, got too annoying for even me

Offline waly206

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2016, 04:28:59 »
Thank you, manuster :)

Offline Accelerator

• Academy Student Poster
  • Eyy bois
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2016, 04:36:27 »
In all honesty, there should be a sticky somewhere in the FAQ that says:

"The devs make the game, not the engine"....

It'll drive away a lot of unwanted questions, I really hope for this project to succeed, the Alpha looks very promising ^_^

Offline seio

• Academy Student Poster
  • seio has no influence.
  • I'm new around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2016, 04:38:11 »
SLO aims to be skill-based. What you're suggesting is another MMORPG that has simply been put into a Naruto-like context. Not only does this game intend to shun the common MMO features of simple, repetitve, click-based combat.
Have you ever played the games I mentioned in the post?
How is, for example, dark souls franchise a point and click?

I get that you want this game to look like uncharted 4, have an amazing net code (despite not having monster servers, or the money to get those), with amazing dynamic combat, that has never been seen before in any game.
That's just not going to happen.

There's ONE coder.
An indie studio has like 80 developers. An AAA studio has hundreds, even thousands, of developers working on their game. It still takes them 3-7 years to make a game, even when having "bought" an engine, like UE3.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 04:40:17 by seio »

Offline Accelerator

• Academy Student Poster
  • Eyy bois
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2016, 04:44:08 »
SLO aims to be skill-based. What you're suggesting is another MMORPG that has simply been put into a Naruto-like context. Not only does this game intend to shun the common MMO features of simple, repetitve, click-based combat.
Have you ever played the games I mentioned in the post?
How is, for example, dark souls franchise a point and click?

I get that you want this game to look like uncharted 4, have an amazing net code (despite not having monster servers, or the money to get those), with amazing dynamic combat, that has never been seen before in any game.
That's just not going to happen.

There's ONE coder.
An indie studio has like 80 developers. An AAA studio has hundreds, even thousands, of developers working on their game. It still takes them 3-7 years to make a game, even when having "bought" an engine, like UE3.

Uncharted 4 is a very very high goal, but very possible. It'll just take longer than 2 years to make a release then.... And you won't believe how far 1 programmer can go... you just gotta believe XD

I admit, I don't expect a super high quality Elder scrolls 10 quality crap, I expect a respectable game that'll keep me hooked with a fast paced combat similar to that shown in the beta and kickass RPG elements

Offline Mars

• Hidden Hill Kage
  • Hidden Village Kage
  • Sennin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • Mars has no influence.
    • View Profile
  • Clan: Hinode
  • Organization: Yürei
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2016, 08:04:53 »
You made same valid points Seio, but so did Manuster.
There is one coder at the moment but that will change. In fact, plenty of people have applied to be coder but Vreg has put them on hold as having numerous coders at this stage in the game would be silly.
When all the base mechanics have been made, new coders will be accepted but until then it's not really suited to have more than one person working on the same mechanics at the same time.
  • Character Name: Kuria Hinode

Offline Reminance

• Hidden Thunder Kage
  • Hidden Village Kage
  • Sennin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • Reminance has no influence.
  • Leader of Roguhanta
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2016, 08:10:45 »

This game intends to be very serious. As you may (not) have noticed, it is only at pre-alpha. There is enourmous room for change and improvement, most of which has been planned. To suggest that the entire development team changes direction when, frankly, most of the development hasn't been completed, is pretty silly imo.

There is alot of time and experience already being put into this game. Nothing you're saying is particularly new information. It is in light of these that Vreg (Lead Programmer/Head Dev) has decided to go forward because frankly, "A Naruto-inspired MMO is highly demanaded."

I personally know nothing about which engine is better or not so I can't argue. But I'd bet Vreg made his decision wisely. >.>

No. Sorry, but no. Vreg has exceptionally high visual standards, nothing will make him compromise. And to be honest, I don't see why anyone would want him to.

By no means is this game going to be easy to make, after all, that's why it hasn't been made so far. But with the current plans, ideas and efforts being pumped in. This game stands a very good chance of success. I suggest you read the FAQ and Development blogs to get a better idea. Scanning through some posts in the suggestion thread can also help.

SLO aims to be skill-based. What you're suggesting is another MMORPG that has simply been put into a Naruto-like context. Not only does this game intend to shun the common MMO features of simple, repetitve, click-based combat. It plans to do this all beautifully and seamlessly. Simply acquiring a jutsu doesn't mean you can use it well. You will have to practice and hone your skills.

You mentioned alot of Naruto mods that have attempted this.

This will be the first that has succeeded. :p

Lol. Done. All done. Besides Chidori have you seen anything on this site that is Naruto exclusive?

(Bearing in mind that "chidori" directly translates into 1000 birds. We can't get sued for that, can we?)

I understand that you may be trying to 'help' Vreg, but to be honest, your post reeks of negativity and pessimism. (idk, this might just be me)

Anyways, for future reference, please read the FAQ and Development blogs.

Long comment but you really put effort into that ^^
  • Character Name: Reminance

Recent Topics

Top Posters

HyonHighsmith
training71
FrankJScott
Aliceref
Mars
Reminance
Shivraj