Important News

We have released Shinobi Life Online Pre-Alpha Version 1.1.0.0! This update features Earth Release: Earth Dome Jutsu, Aiming Mode and more! Try it out and tell us what you think.

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Discord

Statistics

Members
Total Members: 71722
Latest: VincentSoiva
New This Month: 109
New This Week: 17
New Today: 17
Stats
Total Posts: 83887
Total Topics: 25871
Most Online Today: 1181
Most Online Ever: 4232
(January 14, 2020, 07:47:33)
Users Online
Members: 2
Guests: 1140
Total: 1150

Author Topic: Suggestion on developing combat sytem  (Read 5906 times)

Offline WarUchiha

• Academy Student Poster
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • WarUchiha has no influence.
  • I'm new around here.
    • View Profile
Suggestion on developing combat sytem
« on: December 18, 2015, 00:26:42 »
HI, I'm new and I've played the game and noticed that the game is a it similar to gunz(since I'm guessing it will be fast paced) If you dont want to read everything then just look at the last 2 sentences
1. Before getting into the anything, you should introduce a knock down system where if enemy gets hit by an attack he gets mini stunned. Also, when low hp they should get slowed so that they don't run away the whole time.
2. But what I think what you should prioritize first is taijutsu, a basic fighting system in a game.We already have some jutsu, now you should pause developing the jutsus and make a hand to hand combat system so that everyone doesn't have to run around like drifting lamborghinis and and just luckily hitting someone. So if someone wish to not plAfter ay smart and just go crazy they can. Just a normal fighting system to throw combos around. You can add substitution if you want or maybe later.
3. And then go back to ninjutsu, so  you should design the jutsus in a way so that they can clash, like 2 fire breath instead of hitting each other they clash(and go to the button pressing mini game- if no one can win then the first person that runs out of chakra gets hit)
After that making decent amount of jutsus maybe add a type effectiveness system like pokemon :D.
And then you could go into unique details like puppet, summoning and eye power etc
Sooo, everything summed up 1.Fix>2. Taijutsu>3.Some Ninjutsu>Some Genjutsu
This will be the basic foundation that you can develop on.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 00:31:03 by WarUchiha »

• Character Name: WarUchiha

Offline NinjaMirage

• Shadow Sennin Donator
  • Sennin Poster
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • NinjaMirage has no influence.
  • I like anything fast enough to do something stupid
    • View Profile
  • Clan: Shizen_Clan

• Organization: Jutsu Hunter

Re: Suggestion on developing combat sytem
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 03:50:39 »
first.... i hate that button spamming shit when attacks clash.... if 2 of the same jutsu of the same nature clash the one that is higher  level wins... if there the same level the player with the most chakra control wins... if that is equal the jutsu cancel eachother out... jutsu clash and calibration is planned .... 2nd search for taijutsu and you will see the discussions already available
take some time to search for the topics you think should be added you will find that these guys know what there doing and have a really strong concept for the game.. the mini stun has some merit but if its implemented i have a feeling that it will only happen if there health gets low.

3rd gunz??? having never played it i cant say for sure but from what i have seen in youtube what they are going for here is the exact opposite of gunz
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 03:57:26 by cmsurfer »

Offline lollernoob9

• Temari Sennin Donator
  • Special Jonin Poster
  • lollernoob9 has no influence.
  • I'm new around here.
    • View Profile
  • Clan: Amigake
  • Organization: Jyuunishin-Niwatori
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 05:36:47 »
I think it would be hard to implement a system where you need to balance the right chakra to use techniques, tho it would be realistic

I dont know about stuns, they dont randomly happen when you fight....
 chasing ppl down is easier if you get used to it too! I agree about the jutsu colliding with each other, fireballs do it in Naruto, tho Idk if this is planned for here since its supposed to be realistic as possible. This could mean blood and different damage based on the body part hit,
Haku dying/ Gaara didnt when chidoried. Ill read the faq again.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 05:46:57 by lollernoob9 »
  • Character Name: Shishida Amigake
A danger foreseen is half avoided.

Offline Tameshi Hinode

• Special Jonin Donator
  • Special Jonin Poster
  • Tameshi Hinode has no influence.
  • See trough the darkness.
    • View Profile
  • Clan: Hinode

• Organization: Midori Ken
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 06:03:36 »
Hello and welcome to the forum.

First of all,i played gunz 1 and gunz 2 and i can tell you that this game is NOT like gunz,neither part 1,nor part 2.
Just because its fast paced,its not like gunz.
Thats like saying every mmorpg is like wow just because its a mmorpg.
SLO will have handsigns,many different jutsus,its ninja themed,it will be a MMORPG(with a death match version)and gunz 1 and 2 are NO mmorpgs,or even mmo,s....they are regular lobby based multiplayer games+a few more differences.

1:,,Before getting into the anything, you should introduce a knock down system where if enemy gets hit by an attack he gets mini stunned.''
Getting knocked down,and getting stunned,are 2 different things.
A stun just makes you unable to react,if you dont have skills to break free from a stun.
A knockdown knocks you to the ground(a stun doesnt).
And then we have a knockback,whitch knocks you away.
Getting staggered(or lets say,stunned)while getting hit by a combo,is allright,i support this.
But the enemy needs to get the chance to strike back after the end of a combo,and they need to be careful that people cant exploit combos(in some games,you can make infinite combos that are very hard for your opponent to get out of).
I got a different idea for chasing your opponent:
If you run behind a opponent for a while,you get a small speed boost as long as your enemy continues to run away from you.
Or you implement skills that move you closer to your opponent,or move him closer to you from a distance,or slow him down.
Beeing on low hp could slow you down even more.

2:While im more interested in taijutsu than ninjutsu,i have to disagree.
Implementing a taijutsu system will take a lot of work.
I would rather have them fix 1 aspect of the game first(ninjutsu)before focusing on another(taijutsu).
Also,this game is heavily inspired by naruto and there,ninjutsus are very common and i would say that most people here are interested in ninjutsu,rather than taijutsu(i may be wrong on that one though).
1-2 taijutsu combos would be nice for testing purposes,but they should be focusing on ninjutsus first.

3:A minigame when jutsus clash?
Allright,i think its time i wake up some people,because i noticed this multiple times allready:
This is not a regular fighting game,its a mmorpg,or at least it will be one.
People here tend to compare SLO to fighting games,not mmo,s and thats the problem.
A mmorpg has a very large world with thousands of players online at the same time.
You just cant expect a top notch fighting system like gunz,mortal kombat or vindictus here,because it would simply lag.
The server has to send and receive the movements of every single one of these thousands of players in a short ammount of time.
Single player games or games with only a few people playing against each other in a,,room''dont have this problem.
And now imagine it.....imagine that the game has such a fighting system and the game lags.
It would be unplayable and evne if you COULD play it,people will lag a lot.
And a lag can ruin a combo,make you hit the air with your jutsus instead of hitting the enemy,failing at dodging...you get the idea.
And the faster and more complex the fighting system is,the lower the performance of the game will be...this means more lag and more lag means that you will fail at the same combat system that you asked for.
Lets say for example,you have 1 second to press the next key for the combo,because you want it to be,,fast''.
If the game recognizes your attack too late,you mess up the combo.
If you would have 3 seconds to press the key,you are less likely to mess up the combo because of lag.
And fighting teleporting players(because of lag)is not funny either.

And on top of all this,this is not a game from blizzard or ubisoft.
SLO doesnt have a large gaming company behind them,they need all donations they can get.
Some of you guys on the forum have very unrealistic expectations of the game,esspecially the combat system.
We can be happy if the game gets even released one day.
Many indie games dont even make it that far.

PS:I did not intend to sound rude.
Sorry if i did.

@WarUchiha
Point 3 was more about the community itself,not directly you.
By the way,i like the idea of button mashing if certain jutsus clash.
I just think that,the stronger you are,and the stronger your element is against the element of your opponent,the less button mashing you have to do.
For example,if you are very strong and your element has a advantage over the element of your enemy,every key you press counts for 4 keys.
Your opponent could still win if he can mash the buttons very very fast,but he has a big dissadvantage.
But as i said,lets keep it simple for now and lower our expectations.

@lollernoob9
These stuns wouldnt happen randomly,they would happen if you use a combo.
And its also not that unrealistic because receiving a punch,can inflict a lot of pain.
The pain and the impact can make you unable to maintain your balance and/or react immediatly

,,chasing ppl down is easier if you get used to it too!''
You cant compare the game weve got now,to the game we will have later.
Right now,people duel each other just for fun on a small map.
But what if your enemy desperately wants to run away from you because he fears perma death?
What if he doesnt want to fight back and the map is very large?
If both of you run in 1 direction on a very large mapand you both move at the same speed,theres no way you can catch up with your opponent,unless he makes a mistake(whitch is unlikely if all he has to do is move in 1 direction)or a jutsu/system gets implemented that lets you catch up with your opponent.

Sorry for the long post,and no hard feelings.
  • Character Name: Tameshi Hinode

Offline taigakun

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 10:32:23 »
lol I've seen like 5 different topics about comabat this month. as you all know the game is still in early alpha(very early), so lets wait and trust in Vreg and the devs to release what they have in store for us first before asking for "mini stuns", which i think is not so smart( like imagine getting mini stunned every time you get hit by fireball or chidori). so my point is.... calm yer tits

Offline Tameshi Hinode

• Special Jonin Donator
  • Special Jonin Poster
    • View Profile

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 13:25:50 »
imagine getting mini stunned every time you get hit by fireball or chidori)

I did.
Seems fine to me and also way more realistic than just continue to walk around like nothing happened.

Offline Shivraj

• Chunin Donator
  • Sennin Poster
  • Shivraj has no influence.
  • 'Sup Guys!
    • View Profile
  • Clan:
  • Organization:
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2015, 14:30:37 »
imagine getting mini stunned every time you get hit by fireball or chidori)

I did.
Seems fine to me and also way more realistic than just continue to walk around like nothing happened.
Chidori knocks you back, imagine the getting hit by a blast of lightning fist, it would stimulate all the muscles of the area it hits and, zap! you go flying a bit.

Fireball on the other hand, a fireball stunning you? Doesn't sound like what a ball of fire hitting you would do, if I was hit by one, I'd be running all around the place, stopping dropping and rolling xD, but standing still not being able to move? NOPE!

Just saying.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 09:12:19 by Shivraj »
  • Character Name: Kazuki Raiu

Offline Tameshi Hinode

• Special Jonin Donator
  • Special Jonin Poster
    • View Profile

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2015, 21:34:57 »
,,Fireball on the other hand, a fireball stunning you? Doesn't like what a ball of fire hitting you would do, if I was hit by one, I'd be running all around the place, stopping dropping and rolling xD, but standing still not being able to move? NOPE!''

You got a point there.
Well,the stun would need to have a animation that suits the attack.
If you get hit by a very large fireball,rushing towards you,you might see a animation where your character moves his hands around wildly and screams for a short ammount of time.

1:16-This is how a stun could look if you are getting hit by a taijutsu combo.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 22:23:28 by Tameshi Hinode »

Offline NinjaMirage

• Shadow Sennin Donator
  • Sennin Poster
  • NinjaMirage has no influence.
  • I like anything fast enough to do something stupid
    • View Profile
  • Clan: Shizen_Clan

• Organization: Jutsu Hunter

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2015, 21:37:09 »
I think it would be hard to implement a system where you need to balance the right chakra to use techniques, tho it would be realistic

@lollernoob9

When i say chakra control i don't mean actually balancing the chakra as a in game mechanic

i was thinking of it being just a stat that can be trained like stamina that effects how much chakra is used to activate and maintain a jutsu

chakra control if vital to the ability to even execute jutsu .... its why kakashi can keep up with naruto.... naruto has more chakra but kakshi has far better chakra control
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 00:40:28 by cmsurfer »

Offline taigakun

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2015, 08:39:46 »
Come on man... Imagine facing against someone like Mars who is already op as it is and is looking to focus on taijutsu.... You won't even get a chance to move.

Getting stunned every time you get hit will give your opponent more chances to stun you over and over again until you die, without even being able to move..... Pretty one sided

Offline Tameshi Hinode

• Special Jonin Donator
  • Special Jonin Poster
    • View Profile

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2015, 09:55:06 »
No it wont.
Combos usually last for a short ammount of time.
After the combo ended,you have time to react.
Honestly,i dont see the problem.
It works fine in countless fighting games.
Tekken also has a,,stun''for combos.
Tera has a,,stagger''effect for the first hit of the standard combo.

You act like we would be talking about some kind of infinite combo that you can use to spam someone to death.
A example for a regular combo would be,,hit-hit-hit-hit-HIT!(last attack knocks the target away).
So,the last attack would create distance between you and the enemy again and it takes a while before you can start a new combo.
You would not only have enough space to strike back or run away after a combo,you would also have enough time to do it.
Spamming someone to death would just work if you dont do anything after the combo ends.

You cant just hit someone with the first attack of your combo over and over again to stun him,because every time you attack again,it continues with the combo,and the last hit of the combo means you cant use a new one immediatly,thats wherre your opponent can strike back or run away.
If you wait too long to continue your combo,the stun wears off and your enemy stikes back before you even finished the combo.
No matter how you look at it,it would be impossible to stun someone over and over again.